+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you bleed the brakes of a 1997 Maxima

CNC Junior Member assiduous has made no transactions, yet.

How do you bleed the brakes of a 1997 Maxima

It is a GXE, no ABS.

I changed the rear calipers. Started bleeding the left rear one first, totally randomly. Very strong pressure, air was coming out the first couple of times with a loud noise, then it started to flow only clear fluid. Great! (I say to myself)

Then I move to the Right Rear wheel.

No pressure. I couldn't bleed it, because there was nothing coming out. I didn't even hear air coming out. Nothing. But the other wheel had very strong pressure, and after 5 bleeds was completely air free.

Well what do I do now? How do I bleed a wheel that doesn't bleed sh1t?

Advice will be highly appreciated, as this saturday I have to go to the police to show them I fixed 2 compliance violations. But right now brakes barely hold. Dangerous to drive, let alone take it to the police station like that :)

Supporting Member f550maranello2 has made no transactions, yet. f550maranello2's Avatar
    submerge the hose in the plastic bottle with fluid and release the screw and keep pumping the pedal till the assistant sees fluid.. you let way too much air in slowly release the pedal each time keep the tank filled

CNC Freshmen Member Kico has made no transactions, yet. Kico's Avatar
    Get a gar and a clear hose and make a small hole in the gar for the hose and a pin to vent air out of the gar fill the gar with brake fluid submerge the hose in the brake fluid connect the other end to the bleeder valve. Have some one pump and you bleed now with the hose and the gar you can watch whats going on. If it sucks fluid back words when the bleeder is closed the bleeder its not sealing or its bad. If its not pushing the air out when the bleeder is open you will know cuz there will be no bubbles in the fluid thats in the gar you might have a leak. If you are getting bubbles in the gar keep bleeding till there is no more. It sounds like you did not clamp the line when you removed it from the caliper. The result is now you have a lot of air in those lines and its going to take a lot of bleeding. You can buy a self bleeding kit from auto zone for $8.00 bucks or try it my way with the gar also check for leaks in the brake lines . I also dont recommend driving till all the air is out its not worth it the risk . Hope this helps and good luck.

Supporting Member f550maranello2 has made no transactions, yet. f550maranello2's Avatar
    wtf is a gar????????

CNC Freshmen Member Kico has made no transactions, yet. Kico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by f550maranello2 View Post
    wtf is a gar????????
    I think I need to go back to 1st grade again and learn how to spell gar was suppose to be jar. I'm sure you know what I was trying to say tho. I gotta stop coming on when its late it seems like I don't pay attention to my spelling at all my bad.

yea sorry it was pretty funny..

CNC Junior Member assiduous has made no transactions, yet.
    I know how to bleed brakes, I've done it many times. The problem is that you just cant make fluid come out of the rear right caliper, no matter what.

So I took it to a shop last week. Three days they've been working on it, and even they can't figure what's wrong. First they thought it was a bad caliper, so they changed it, but it didn't come out of the new one either. So they put the old one back. Then they thought it was the master cylinder, and they changed that, and again to no avail. The shop owner was angry at me, he said they spent too much time just looking for the problem and still haven't found it.

Weirdest thing. I hate diagnosis. Most things are easy to change, but u don't always know what's the problem.

Please. Call me John. I insist ColombianMax has been part of at least 1 good deal.
    proportioning valve maybe??

1993 Maxima GXE Super White, Ebay FSTB, 97-99 SE Rims, KYB GR2s, BlehmCo Lower Tiebar, BlehmCo parallel link kit, RSTB, BlehmCo swaybar links, z31 rear disc upgrade, Assurance TripleTreds.

1995 Maxima GXE-5 Dark Blue Pearl, 2003 SE TE Rims, KYB GR2/Progress springs, Tail Light LEDs by Kzoosho, FX35 @4300k Retrofit, i30 Leather interior

1997 Maxima SE A/T Super Black on black fully loaded, 2001 SE Rims

DasTeknoViking
    Nope keep on tryin ;)

Please. Call me John. I insist ColombianMax has been part of at least 1 good deal.
    kink in the line?

1993 Maxima GXE Super White, Ebay FSTB, 97-99 SE Rims, KYB GR2s, BlehmCo Lower Tiebar, BlehmCo parallel link kit, RSTB, BlehmCo swaybar links, z31 rear disc upgrade, Assurance TripleTreds.

1995 Maxima GXE-5 Dark Blue Pearl, 2003 SE TE Rims, KYB GR2/Progress springs, Tail Light LEDs by Kzoosho, FX35 @4300k Retrofit, i30 Leather interior

1997 Maxima SE A/T Super Black on black fully loaded, 2001 SE Rims

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast